Sunday 9 September 2012

Disability

I have been a little quiet of late - I can assure you this does not mean I have not had anything to worry about.  Anybody who has any kind of contact with current affairs can see that there are plenty of things to be worrying about: questionable cabinet re-shuffles; continuing desecration of our social welfare system; the appalling choices of presidential candidate in the US (more on this to follow, I am currently unable to put into words my concern over some of the men chosen by one of the most powerful nations in the world to represent them on an international level).

This week, however, I have been basking in the most glorious after-glow of a day at the London Paralypic Games.  Not only is the Olympic Park awesome and the venues well designed and attractive, but the atmosphere of the athletics stadium was one of the most intensely exciting and indescribable experiences I have ever had.  We sung the National Anthem patriotically (and politely stood to all the other nations' anthems too), we cheered on every race and every throw and every jump, and we yelled and screamed and jumped about as David Weir came storming home to win gold in the final race of the night.  It was an absolutely unforgettable experience, and one which I am very glad to have been able to share with someone very special to me.

In the lead-up to the Games I was excited to discover that there would be athletes taking part that suffer from the same chronic immune disease as I do - specifically Leigh Walmsey for Team GB archery.  I started to realise that although suffering from RA does not make me look different to other people - I have all my limbs and my mental faculties (most of the time) -  as a sufferer myself I didn't truly consider it a disability - I had never before truly considered myself disabled.

The Paralympics has shown Great Britain and the world that people with disabilities can be superhuman, showing incredible strength, courage, grit and determination to achieve their goals.  I hope that one legacy of London 2012 will be greater understanding and compassion towards people with disabilities, and I am proud to stand up (gently) and be counted as one of them.  I may not be comparable to the stars of the Paralympics, but in my own small way I hope that I might be part of the legacy and help keep the spirit and overwhelming positivity of the last ten days alive in myself and those around me.

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment